Disaster relief information
Support for members affected by California wildfires
UnitedHealthcare is deeply concerned for the health, safety and well-being of its members who may be affected by the wildfires across parts of California. The company has taken the following actions:
Helping members find a network provider, early refills
Plan participants who need help finding a care provider in the UnitedHealthcare network, obtaining early prescription refills or need to replace durable medical equipment can call customer care at the number located on the back of their medical ID cards.
People enrolled in employer-sponsored and individual health plans who have a smartphone can download the UnitedHealthcare app® (at no additional cost), which enables them to access their health plan ID card, review and manage prescription medications, locate nearby network care providers and facilities, view account information and more. The app also enables eligible plan participants to directly schedule and conduct a Virtual Visit with a doctor1 and arrange a callback from a UnitedHealthcare customer service advocate.2 The app is available now for download for Android® and Apple® devices to people enrolled in UnitedHealthcare health benefit plans.
For UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement members
Per Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requirements, for those members in evacuation areas and/or directly impacted in a material way by the emergency:
- Allow Part A and Part B and supplemental Part C plan benefits to be furnished at specified non-contracted facilities (note that Part A and Part B benefits must, per 42 CFR §422.204(b)(3), be furnished at Medicare certified facilities);
- Waive in full, requirements for gatekeeper referrals where applicable;
- Temporarily reduce plan-approved out-of-network cost-sharing to in-network cost-sharing amounts;
- Waive the 30-day notification requirement to enrollees as long as all the changes (such as reduction of cost-sharing and waiving authorization) benefit the enrollee.
Free help line
- Additional out-of-pocket costs may be required for telemedicine services depending on the plan and any applicable state requirements.
- Most UnitedHealthcare employer-sponsored plan participants have access to the callback feature.